A Job Post From the Past
Back in 2019, I wrote a job post that I soon became fond of. Proud even. It received healthy attention and consistent praise:
- To the point without unnecessary fluff
- Exciting and warm to read
- Mentorship offered
- Thank you for no buzzwords
It also buried me in applications and responses. A good problem to have! Publishing the post here for posterity’s sake.
I am hiring for my team at Deserve. Here’s the job post. DM here or apply on HasJob. RTs appreciated! https://t.co/dlWubdyu1S— Swanand (@_swanand) October 23, 2019
Join the team at Deserve! 🚀
- 🦄 Bay-area based, funded, and growing startup in the fintech space. Quite soon, we’ll be looking at the U word with hopeful eyes.
- 💳 Credit Card for people starting their credit journey (think university students in the USA)
- 📈 SaaS. We’re also a “credit card-as-a-service”, meaning banks and NBFCs can launch their cards through us.
The team and the tech
- 🌏 Distributed across timezones
- 👨👩👧👦 Variety of backgrounds: Big companies, start-ups, remote teams, co-located teams. Been there, done that.
- ☕ A warm, friendly bunch of people who are pleasant to work with.
- ☁️ A mix of classic and cloud-native infra: Django, RDS PostgreSQL, Ruby on Rails, AWS Lambda, Kinesis, DocumentDB, CloudFormation, Dockerized deployments
- 🤖 Infrastructure as code, immutable infrastructure
What do we expect
- You primarily identify as a backend engineer and are comfortable working on the server-side.
- You can write non-trivial programs in either Ruby or Python. If you don’t know either, you can learn a language quickly.
- You can write clean, modular code in either Object-Oriented style or Functional style.
- You are fluent in using at least one DB, preferably PostgreSQL, but feel free to surprise us.
- You have shipped code to production recently, regularly.
- You are driven and care about doing a good job and improving your craft.
- You are fluent in using the tools of the trade: Editors, Git, Command line, Slack, Jira (unfortunately yes)
- You have high integrity, and you are reliable.
Don’t worry too much about fitting each of these requirements. Use your discretion, think which are most important to you, and then apply.
What do you get
- 💰 Good pay. We’re not AmaGooFaceFlixSoft, but we will pay well enough that money alone wouldn’t be a blocker for you joining
- 👩🏼🏫 Mentorship and a chance to grow professionally
- 🕴️ A chance at a career-building stint. Deserve is in excellent shape, and poised to become significant.
- 🎉 A chance to define the company culture, be a stakeholder in how we do things. Don’t like something? Make your case; change it.
- 🙌🏼 A friendly interview process that you will enjoy participating
When applying, please send us:
- Your LinkedIn profile or your resume, preferably both.
- A snippet of code you wrote recently and are proud of, and why you are proud of it.
- Create a GitHub gist (or equivalent) with the above things, and send it to us through this platform.
- 💻 Brand new laptop. We’re all on 15” MacBook Pros so far.
- 🖥 ️27” 4k Display
- ⌨ 🖱 External keyboard and mouse
- 🌴 Regular, all-expenses-paid team on-sites in both India and the USA
- 🏢 Offices in Pune and Bangalore, and occasional remote work