Senior backend engineer with a focus on web application development in the Ruby and Python ecosystems. An engineering leader with a people-first approach. Recent roles:
- Director of Engineering: Conceptualized and built projects contributing to fund-raising and soft launches. From a group of 3 individual contributors to a team of 20.
- Principal Engineer: From the first engineer to acquisition. Built, architected, and scaled a continually growing system.
- Full profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pagnis
What can I do for you?
Systems and Architecture
- Build systems from scratch
- Improve and build upon existing systems
- “continuous maintenance”
- Architect new systems
- Spike into Proofs-of-concept / MVPs
- Refactor and rearchitect legacy systems.
Engineering execution, people++
- Build, lead, and manage engineering teams and practices.
- Improve people around me, build people up.
- Code reviews, pair programming, implementation of best practices.
- I have been running and managing the Bangalore Ruby community for more than 10 years, and have constantly mentored & helped people get better at their craft.
Hiring and Interviewing
- Set up and improve hiring process, interview candidates.
- For example, a job post I wrote that received a lot of traction, attention, and success.
- Schema design, data integrity, using, and improving usages of relational databases. PostgreSQL in particular.
- I conduct a workshop for intermediate and advanced engineers, who use PostgreSQL, MySQL, or other RDBMS.
Tech stacks that I thrive in
- Ruby and Python ecosystems. 13+ years spent building, breaking, and fixing stuff in Ruby and Rails. And in the recent years, Django.
- PostgreSQL and applications that use relational databases.
- AWS based infrastructure: API Gateways, Lambdas, Data streams. Infrastructure as code.
- Non-traditional architectures, like data pipelines, event-sourced systems, mobile app backends, complex structures like BFF
What am I looking for?
I am looking to work with engineering focussed teams where I can contribute to the growth of the team and the business.